Extensible Markup Language often refferred as XML is gaining popularity with each passing day and most applicaitons are switching from traditional approaches to XML based approach and all new applications deals with XML .
Advantages of XML are as follows :
- It is Platform independent.
- It is easily manageable .
- It is in the form understandable by humans.
- Itis easy to create and alter , it can be done using a normal note pad.
- XML when viewed in browsers , shows a hierarchial structure and its node can be expanded as well as collapsed.
- XML when viewed in Microsoft Excel is displayed in a tabular form.
- XML is highly portable .
- We can create our own tags at any level in the XML file.
- Its very effective for faster network transmissions.
- XML has become the almost universally supported way of exchanging documents and data across applications and platforms.
List of applicaitons which can open a XML file:
- Almost all browsers
- Microsoft Excel
- Almost all IDE's which are meant for coding
How to Open an XML file using Microsoft Excel :
- Right click a XML file
- Select the option "Open with " and choose Microsoft Excel
- Select the appropriate option , if not sure of the appropriate option select as a XML table.
- XML file will be in the tabular form.